Want Information on Shih Tzu in Heat?
Dog heat, also known as the estrous cycle, is a stage in a female dog’s life when she becomes ready to have intercourse and reproduce.
Your Shih Tzu can be affected by this cycle every 7 months, and during this cycle, your pet’s body temperature rises and there’s a pink or red colored discharge from her vulva.
Your Shih Tzu can have her first heat as early as 6 months or as late as 15 months. If she shows no sign of entering into heat after 15 months, it’s best to have her checked by the vet.
Symptoms of Shih Tzu in Heat:
- Swollen vulva
- Small amount of blood from the vulva
- Interest shown by male dogs in your pet
- Swelling in the mammary glands
- Increased urination
- Change of mood
- More attentive to male dogs
The Shih Tzu Heat Cycle
The Shih Tzu heat cycle occurs twice a year and can last for 2 to 4 weeks. Your dog might experience some discomfort and suffer from cramps. Pets know when they are in heat and prefer to rest in solitude in a comfortable area during this period. Most pets prefer to spend more time near their bedding area. Shih Tzu go into heat every 6-9 months and there are 4 stages of the cycle:
- ‘Proestrus’ is the first stage and this is when bleeding will occur and some swelling, this stage usually last between 7-10 days.
- ‘Estrus’ is the second stage and this is when mating can occur, usually begins between the 8th and 10th day after the first sign of bleeding, last usually 7-10 days.
- ‘Diestrus’ is the third stage, this is the ‘going out of heat stage’.
- ‘Anestrus’ is the last stage and is the quite period between estrus cycles.
The cycle lasts on average of 21 days, from the beginning of bleeding to the stage of going out of heat. Keep in mind though that dogs can differ from one another and this is just a typical schedule.
Caring for Your Shih Tzu in Heat
Although Shih Tzu might have very small amounts of bloody discharge from the vulva, it’s essential to keep your pet and your home clean. You can make her wear a nappy, as pet nappies are now readily available at pet stores.
She will be the center of attention of all male dogs, you have to ensure that she is safe.
Although it’s best to keep her inside throughout this period, it might not always be possible. If you have to take her out, you should ensure that you keep her on a short leash.
Male dogs can smell a bitch in heat from as far as 3 miles, and they can be quite aggressive in trying to reach her to mate with her. Since the urine of your pet will contain blood, the odor can easily reach male dogs and they will continue to try to storm your house until your bitch is out of heat. I hope this post has gave you the information and facts you need on Shih Tzu in heat. For more information on caring for a Shih Tzu click here.